Tumblr

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Apr 30 11:38:14 UTC 2017

Tony Baechler here.

When exactly did you use tumblr last? I recently signed up for an account.
Trust me, it's a real nightmare! I think the problems started when Yahoo
took it over. Yes, I know of someone (an artist) who publishes mostly
photos. No, her blog isn't accessible. That isn't what I'm talking about.
I'm talking about the actual tumblr interface. Everything requires mouse
clicks. Maybe Orca would be better, but even NVDA couldn't read it using the
latest Firefox. Among other things, the pages are endless, meaning that you
can't scroll to the bottom because it continues loading more content
indefinitely. With some work, I got messages to work, but as with everything
else, you hear "avatar" followed by a hex number when looking at your
contacts, so you have to guess who you're messaging. Part of this is
probably a screen reader issue as mine is rather old now, but much of it has
to do with dynamic content being loaded all the time.

Here is a typical example. When you go to tumblr.com and log in, (even the
login isn't accessible) you hear several buttons. If you select Messages,
nothing appears to happen. You have to scroll to the bottom of the page.
Remember what I said earlier. Since new content is constantly loaded, you
never actually get to the bottom, so don't press the down arrow. You have to
press Shift-H to go back to the previous heading. Now, you get to the area
where you can message someone. If you know their name on tumblr, you have to
hope you find the search box. Sometimes it seems to randomly move, depending
on if you messaged other people or not. Oh, I forgot. You have to scroll
past the list of contacts it picks for you. Once you find the search box,
you type in the name you want. In my case, I'm afb904, so enter that. The
page dynamically updates to show any matches as you're typing, so you have
to get out of the edit box (don't press Enter as it won't work) and scroll
down. You hear a very long hex number with the name at the end. That shows
up as a standard link. You access that link and you can finally write a
message. After you're done, you can send, similar to Facebook. If I answer
and there is a conversation, you have to scroll through the other messages
to find the edit box. You can't use the letter "e" to jump to it because it
wraps around to the "search tumblr" box which isn't what you want. If you
find workarounds or know of a better way to navigate it, I'm very interested!