Installing RHEL 7

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Dec 6 19:39:10 UTC 2017

Hi, Schoepp:

I've used Fedora since before it was called Fedora, but I haven't
performed an install for a very long time. I'm up to date because of the
--distro-sync functionality of dnf (formerly called yum).

However, people on the Orca list have reported success installing Fedora
using Orca from the Live image.

There's also the possibility of installing Fedora using a kickstart file
which would actually teach you a lot about the RHEL/Fedora installation
process. Basically, kickstart is simply a script with all the menu
choices provided as variables in the script. And, if you're working on a
virtual machine, or a disk where you can't goof any other system up,
there's every reason to keep trying until you succeed.

As for tools once you've gotten RHEL working ... Yes, I believe you do
have Orca, but you'll be several versions behind. Brltty, on the other
hand, is likely kept up to date more easily. Speakup has never worked
with RHEL kernels, afaik. People have tried--people who are good at
kernel compiles.

Here's an article from Redhat explaining the difference between Fedora
and RHEL:

http://www.redhat.com/en/technologies/linux-platforms/articles/relationship-between-fedora-and-rhel

Also, please note that the free of cost RHEL clone is called CentOS:

https://danielmiessler.com/study/fedora_redhat_centos/

Lastly, let me note that the developers of Vinux have decided to build
future releases of Vinux on Fedora, which will make Vinux a so-called
"spin" of Fedora, which has quite a few "spins" as it is:

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/

The bottom line here is that you should be OK administering RHEL, just
not installing it via it's installation system except for possibly
installing via kickstart.

hth

Janina