Two versions of Firefox, two different annoying bugs.

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Sep 23 19:50:50 UTC 2017

Okay, so I recently upgraded my main machine to Knoppix 8. Initially,
I was glad that a long standing bug that causes Orca to go silent
whenever I open a file dialog box in firefox, if not outright crash
something hard enough to force me back to text-mode had been fixed,
but then I realized the default version of Firefox in Knoppix 8 is
Firefox 52, aka, the version that dropped ALSA support.

At first, I thought, no big deal, I'll just switch to Firefox ESR and
get my ability to listen to YouTube videos back, but apparently, the
file dialog is still silent in Firefox ESR, and after months of not
being able to save pages or upload files, I don't relish the idea of
giving it up again now that it works again.

I could just switch between the two versions as needed, but that's not
exactly convient, so I decided to bite the bullet and Install
pulseaudio, but I'm still without audio when YouTube videos play.
Everything is still talking properly both in the console and the GUI,
and I can still play local media from the terminal, but Firefox itself
remains silent.

So, does anyone know how to get Firefox working with Pulseaudio, how
to get Orca to read file dialogs in Firefox-ESR, know of a Firefox
extension that re-adds ALSA support, or of a decent command-line
client for listening to YouTube?

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.
Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.