looking for Lennix distribution?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Nov 18 20:10:22 UTC 2021

The sound output can be switched from your MATE sound settings in
applications->sound and video->sound. This is due to the fact that Fedora is
using pipewire and wireplumber by default instead of Pulseaudio, and proper
switch-on-connect support may not be fully enabled yet, although once you set it
the first time, it seems to work. Pipewire can currently replace Pulseaudio, the
ALSA front end stuff and even Jack, but it is still a work in progress that is
used by default to give the wider community a chance to test things. So bumps in
the road will still occur. For example, plugging in my headphones with their
microphone to my computer results in the expected output switch, but the input
doesn't switch automatically. But this is not a showstopper here, since I can
switch the input easily enough, and if I use a USB box, both input and output
are switching for me after setting it the first time. Still, I do believe this
will get fixed, since my 3.5mm headphones didn't switch the output the first
time I plugged them into the computer - the sound kept coming out of my speakers
and actually, the mic didn't work at all, and now everything but the automatic
input is switching correctly.

I use braille so little that I didn't notice any problem, but it looks like your
user is not in the brlapi group by default. This causes permission errors when
Orca tries to read /etc/brlapi.key. Try adding yourself to the brlapi group from
system->administration->MATE user manager. Unlock it first, then open the
setting groups window. From there, tick brlapi and logout. The next time you
login, you should have braille. This is not a failing of the distro, as no one
user should be in a ton of groups by default. I think if I remember correctly
though that there is a way to set your groups in the installer. The distros you
mentioned have their own issues, which you pointed out, along with others you
hadn't seen yet. So do stick with this, and I believe in the end you'll be
pretty happy with it overall.
~Kyle