FYI - Command Line Programs for the Blind

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Apr 14 18:08:40 UTC 2022

Yes. Yes it is.

Then thoe same companies make it nigh impossible to opt out of their newsletters as well, which....yeah, whole other issue right there. Tell me why I should leap through a dozen hoops with a ball on my nose, doing a backflip in a tutu and wearing pom poms to even have a hope of finding the unsubscribe link to a newsletter, then have to do that all over again, while on hold with a customer support rep, change out my tutu for a Tinkerbell costume, flap the wings five times, dance the Macarena on one leg...and only then I /might/ get taken off the newsletter however.

Yes. That's the levels of hoop leaping I had to go through on my last one. Not literally, but that's about the level of hassle I had to go through. And after all that. I still kept getting newsletters. So what was the point of going through all that hassle?

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 05:35:58PM +0000, Linux for blind general discussion wrote
> Forgot to mention, but yeah, it's annoying how many services insist on
> using a person's e-mail address or phone number as a unique
> identifier... its one thing if they have legitimate reason to contact
> you outside of their platform, but there's plenty that would function
> just fine knowing nothing about me beyond my username and password...
> and trying to force you to create an account just to use your computer
> just sounds ridiculous... on the flip side, I find it annoying how
> many e-mail newsletters ask for more than just my e-mail address when
> signing up. Is it too much to ask that web forms be both properly
> formatted and that they only collect essential information?

Jace's words are up there. Quoted and old messages below this point