getting started with Liblouis

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 07:30:40 UTC 2022

On Tue, 15 Mar 2022, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:

> I'm trying to find out how to use Liblouis to translate documents from print
> to Braille.  Specifically, my wife would like me to find out how to translate
> Russian documents into Braille ones.  At the moment, though, I haven't yet
> learned a command to run for translating anything:  the Liblouis
> documentation looks to have a lot of useful material, but I could find
> nothing about running a command, with whatever arguments and options I might
> need, to create a Braille output file from a print input file.

In Debian, I see liblouis-bin and liblouisxml-bin packages which can
probably help you.  Other distributions probably have something similar.

> I read about a command called file2brl, apparently part of a program called
> Liblouisutdml, but that program's not on my system even though Liblouis
> itself is.

Apparently, UTDML is unified tactile document markup language, whcih is
presumably used for maps, diagrams, etc.  This is probably not what you
need.

HTH,
Geoff.