Two Arch beginner questions

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Apr 27 12:34:12 UTC 2023

Hi,

I have answered your questions in line.

On 27/04/2023 12:58, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I installed Arch Linux for the first time. Now I have fully
> setup the console and now, it is time for graphical interface. I will
> use Mate desktop. I know how to install it, but I have a question
> related to display manager. Can you recommend me some display manager
> for Mate desktop, which is packaged for Arch and configured for a11Y
> (start Orca in the manager)

Gdm is possibly the easiest to get going, but it does mean you install a
bunch of gnome applications which you might not want. Lightdm can be
good too if configured properly, but that takes a bit more work.

You could always forgo the display manager entirely and use startx at
the console prompt to start your x session.

> And my second question is related to console screen readers. Espeakup
> and Fenrir are included. Which of these is better for using console
> apps, such as email clients, web browsers etc? Is espeakup developed
> or deprecated?

> Espeakup is still very much developed I think, though I personally
> prefer Fenrir.

> Thanks,
>
> Pavel
>
> Thanks,