[Container-tools] Decision Regarding New Verbs In Atomic App

Dusty Mabe dusty at dustymabe.com
Mon Jan 18 22:23:03 UTC 2016

Hi Everyone,

Back in the fall at our F2F in Brno we discussed adding new verbs
(corresponding
to actions) into the Atomic App lifecycle. The result of the discussions
at that
time is reflected in [1].

We have been reviewing this recently as we have been looking to finalize the
lifecycle of Atomic App (at least for the immediate future). After
talking it
over with some of the other maintainers we don't necessarily see the
value added
by having the 'install' and 'uninstall' lifecycle stages for Atomic App.

Basically we believe that fetch, run, stop, clean are good enough for now;
really most people will only ever need to:

- Get answers.conf
- Run App
- Stop App

For getting the answers file people could choose to just grab the
answers file
from the application or they could choose to fetch the whole app into a
local dir:

# atomic run myapp --mode=genanswers  --> Puts generated answers.conf in cwd
# atomic run myapp --mode=fetch --destination=/my/tmp/dir --> extracts
app to target dir

For run and stop it is as it has been in the past:

# atomic run myapp -a ./answers.conf
# atomic stop myapp /path/to/app/files

We'd like to get some feedback on this path forward. The two items that are
important are:

- The deviation from the verbs as discussed at the F2F [1]
- The dropping on "install" as a verb for now (functionality replaced by
"fetch")

We can talk about this further at the cabal later this week but we don't
have
much time after the cabal for any large changes to this proposal.

Thanks,
Dusty

[1] - https://github.com/projectatomic/atomicapp/pull/308/files