[edk2-devel] [edk2-announce] [RFC] EMEA Meeting Days / Times Change

Stephano Cetola stephano.cetola at linux.intel.com
Mon May 20 14:42:45 UTC 2019

I actually feel like we may need more lists rather than continuing to
keep devel as our main discussion forum. I appreciate your feedback and
hadn't thought of that solution, however here are my thoughts:

On 5/15/2019 2:29 AM, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> - keep the announce list locked down (very small number of posters allowed)

I want to encourage people from the community to give announcements if
they feel it is pertinent to everyone. We have a rather mature,
experienced group of engineers who I think can handle that
responsibility. If I see this privilege being abused I can restrict
posting to "approved posts", but I hope that isn't necessary. (new user
moderation will catch "bots" and the like)

> - when making an announcement, always CC the devel list as well,
> - when consensus is reached, send *one* update (as the original poster)
>
> As a result:
>
> - the announce list will only contain the announcements, and (if
> necessary) a consensus update. This will offer a very clean and
> low-traffic overview to people browsing the announce list, and to those
> that are subscribed only to the announce list
>
> - the community can engage in normal discussion hitting "Reply All" at
> all times. The discussion will occur on the devel list, and will be kept
> out of the announce list. If you (the OP) partake in the discussion,
> you'll have to take care to remove the announce list from the address
> list of your emails, as the address list would not filter you out (and
> you wouldn't want to clutter the announce list with in-flight discussion).

I don't disagree that this would provide a way to comment on
announcements while keeping the announcement list very clean. However, I
feel like our devel list has become quite "messy" as a result of having
only 1 list for many years, and I'd like to remedy that. I feel like
your suggestion will only make the "mess" worse.

For those of us using a MUA to filter our list, devel works very well
currently. However, if community members want to get better use out of
Groups.io, we need to ensure our conversations are formatted well for a
web interface. This would mean both refining our lists to a specific
purpose as well as taking advantage of hashtags.

We discussed hashtags in our last community meeting:

https://www.tianocore.org/minutes/Community-2019-05.html

Your suggestion would indeed keep the "announce" list clean, however I
fear that it would complicate the web flow quite a bit. Hopefully that
came across as constructive. It's early and the coffee is still setting
in :).

Cheers,
Stephano

View/Reply Online (#41058): https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/41058