[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler install/kickstart question

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Aug 29 18:20:19 UTC 2007

Maute, Kevin P CTR AFRL/VAOO wrote:
> Michael,
>
> When you say DVD import do you literally mean DVD?  I created a HD
> filesystem which was the standard copy of all the Server CDs DLed from
> RHN.  I actually DID get a DVD from the RHCT class I took last month
> :-).  And, yes I did do a cobbler import as we discussed previously.

Either one works as long as the directory layout is basically the same.

> Also, I removed all the distros and profiles that cobbler created (using
> cobbler {distro,profile} remove!) and recreated them.  I just noticed
> the dates in /var/www/cobbler/ks_mirror has old dates for the repodata &
> repoview dirs.  Is this copying the repo metadata from my local repo or
> creating new dirs?

Those might be the creation dates of the files on the CD media. Rsync is
being invoked with
-a.

> Lastly, I did retain the variables in the original ks template from
> /etc/cobbler.  In the "output" ks file I see the comment about the add'l
> repos but the $yum_repo_stanza appears to be empty as there is no value
> on the next line.  BTW, $yum_config_stanza does expand to "wget ..." so
> it is expanding "some" vars.  I assume $kickstart_done is a sentinel
> variable as it also does not generate any strings.

It seems like the import process did not find the cluster repos from the
DVD import.

If that is not working, one way to do get the same content would be to
just add them as regular yum repositories
in cobbler.

cobbler repo add --name=rhel5i386clustering
--mirror=/path/to/DVD/source/Clustering
# repeat for other source repos
cobbler repo add --name=epel5i386testing
--mirror=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/testing/5/i386/
cobbler reposync
cobbler repo edit --name=rhel5i386clustering --keep-updated=0
cobbler profile edit --name=rhel-5-i386 --repos="rhel5i386clustering
rhel5i386epeltesting"
cobbler sync

Notice though that there are some fixes to repo management in 0.6.1
(especially related to non-http/ftp mirrors), so that's
something to be aware of.

> I tried again (@clustering) and still get grief.
>
> Stepping back, what I would like is not only the clustering and later vt
> support but also EPEL as well.  Interestingly, everytime I do a distro
> and profile I DO get the correspondnig xen one as well.

See above on the epel bits. Those work via "cobbler repo add" as do any
arbitrary yum repo.

Admitedly I would have expected your RHEL 5 clustering repo to be added
automatically in the kickstarts and I'll do some
testing on my end to make sure that feature still works.