[et-mgmt-tools] virt-manager 0.3.0 can't see inactive vms?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Feb 14 17:48:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 05:32:15PM +0000, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Slightly off-topic since I am a Ubuntu user, but I was really keen to
> test the new virt-manager support for activating inactive virtual
> machines but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for me in that
> inactive virtual machines are not listed in the virt-manager window.
>
> So far I've performed the following steps:
>
> 	i) Upgrade to Xen 3.0.4 from an earlier 3.0 Hg version
> 	ii) Install libvirt 0.1.11
> 	iii) Compile & install virt-inst 0.100.0
> 	iv) Compile & install virt-manager 0.3.0
>
> Using virt-manager I can now view statistics from Dom0, but I don't get
> anything listed under inactive virtual machines. If it helps, my
> existing VM configurations are stored under /etc/xen (with the drive
> images themselves under /var/xen/images) and I can manually start
> inactive virtual machines using "xm create" from the command line, at
> which point they appear in virt-manager as expected. Can anyone explain
> what I have done wrong to prevent my inactive virtual machines from
> appearing in virt-manager?

Xen 3.0.4 has built in domain management. Unfortunately in doing this
upstream Xen moved the config dir from /etc/xen to /var/lib/xen. So to
make your inactive domains appear to Xen / virt-manager you need to
load them into Xen by using 'xm new <name>' for each config in the
/etc/xen directory.

After doing this they should appear when doing

   xm list
   virsh list --all

And in virt-manager

Regards,