[et-mgmt-tools] Xen domU + koan

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Feb 27 23:26:40 UTC 2007

Michael DeHaan wrote:

>> One more question (for the moment :)  From the code it appears that koan
>> only creates paravirtual domU instances.  Is that correct?  If not, how
>> do I get it to create a fully virtual domU instance?
>>

> This is correct.
> koan needs to be ported over to use the same virtinst-devel python
> library that virtguest-install uses, and when that happens, it will be
> capable of doing fullvirt installs (and anything else virtinst can
> install, which can include virtualization technology other than Xen --
> I believe QEmu is the one virt-manager is supporting now).
>
> I've wanted to do this earlier -- though I doubt that will happen
> prior to mid March.    Should someone be feeling adventurous, patches
> would definitely be accepted.   If not, I'll get around to it when I
> can -- it's next up on the cobbler/koan feature list and should
> require modifications to koan only, not cobbler.   I'm imagining koan
> will take a "--fullvirt" flag in addition to it's "--virt" one it
> takes now.

Actually, what needs to happen is there's a parameter on the profile
already for paravirt -- and it's currently being ignored.    koan needs
to start paying attention to that parameter.   So you would not get a
new koan parameter, but rather would define the profile differently in
cobbler.    Anyhow, easy enough :)