[et-mgmt-tools] More Cobbler, Koan and Xen questions

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 19:53:56 UTC 2007

Foreman, Tim wrote:
> [...]
You have to run "cobbler sync" after hand-editing any files, whether
those are kickstart files or files in /var/lib/cobbler.   So it's still
using the old file.

> I see in the web server log that it is requesting the ks.cfg file, and
> I looked at the file it's requesting and saw that it has the right info
> in it.
>
> I also can't figure out how to make 'cobbler status' work. I have a
> cobbler_track dir, I path everything through it, and 'cobbler status'
> returns no data.

The "cobbler status" / logging stuff works based on who things:

(A) remote syslog data, which currently is set to use port 25150 in
/var/lib/cobbler/settings.  If a firewall is in the way, that's probably it.
(B) file requests to URL's that start with /cobbler_track; these are
logged by a mod_python filter handler that cobbler installs.

Part (B) is disabled on non-python2.4+ systems because the mod_python
filter handler doesn't work very well there.   In later versions and
Fedora, as well as the coming RHEL5, they should be fine.

If for some reason you don't get syslog information, it's likely that
"cobbler status" won't return anything because it never saw the install
start.   If you want to send me the output of "tree /var/log/cobbler"
that might be helpful to see if that's the case.