[et-mgmt-tools] [ANNOUNCE] Func 0.0.12

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Fri Sep 28 22:16:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 17:03 -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/func/

I'm a little confused as to the intended use/target audience. As a tool
for casual settings, this seems fine, though

>     * Have you ever tried to manage a large number of systems with SSH?
>       Have you wanted a better way?

Anybody who manages their machines that way (and thinks they are truly
managing them) needs to go back to sysadmin school. (Chapter 31 in
Limoncelli is probably a good starting point, though the rest of the
book is a very good read, too)

>     * Have you wanted a way to audit all of your remote commands on all
>       of your systems?
>     * Tired of writing shell scripts and parsing command output?

Isn't that all stuff that a config mgmt system does ?

>     * Are you fed up with CIM, WBEM, and complicated systems that
>       prevent you from doing /real/ work?

There are config mgmt systems that don't use CIM; puppet[1] would be my
recommendation.

David

[1] http://puppet.reductivelabs.com/