[et-mgmt-tools] Live- and rescue-system provisioning over pxe

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu May 22 19:25:53 UTC 2008

zuber at puzzle.ch wrote:
> What do you think about providing live- and rescue systems for pxe with
> cobbler? With Fedora 9 there is a new script in the livecd-tools that
> turns a  live-cd iso into a pxe bootable image. So we can now create a pxe
> live-system out of a kickstartfile.

See koan's livecd.  It uses this to provide  baremetal installations in
PXE-less environments.
> Providing rescue-system is already possible with cobbler. You only have to
> create a Kickstart file and a profile to provide it over pxe:
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PXE/Rescue_PXE

There's an email a while back from Jennifer Cranfill about managing
rescue images in a neat way with Cobbler.
We will probably be exploring this.

> My question is, does it makes sense to manage the build process of the
> live images with cobbler? It is always possible to do this manualy, but i
> think it will be cool if cobbler does that for me.

The build process?   Not really, IMHO.   Does it make sense to make it
easier for Cobbler to netboot non-installation
images and handle abstracts around disk images and cloning?  Yes.
That's one of the things I want to explore next.