[BULK] - Re: unexpected dirty buffer

Nicolas Kowalski Nicolas.Kowalski at imag.fr
Tue Mar 9 08:24:23 UTC 2004

Phil White <ext3 at philwhite.org> writes:

> Nicolas,

Hello.

> Is this partition mounted with data=journal?

One of its partition (/var) is mounted with this option yes. Actually,
this partition is moderately used (database, syslog server, etc.).

> I get the same errors consistently whenever I use data=journal.  In
> my case, it seems to be a bug with certain data access patterns (I
> have an application that makes heavy use of mmap'ed IO and can
> trigger these errors once a minute, followed by a kernel panic not
> long thereafter).  Until this bug is fixed, I am using data=ordered
> (the default), which produces zero errors.

I also had three new messages yesterday (after reboot+fsck):

Mar  8 18:03:45 olan kernel: Unexpected dirty buffer encountered at do_get_write_access:618 (08:11 blocknr 920719)
Mar  8 19:03:54 olan kernel: Unexpected dirty buffer encountered at do_get_write_access:618 (08:11 blocknr 920707)
Mar  8 19:03:54 olan kernel: Unexpected dirty buffer encountered at do_get_write_access:618 (08:11 blocknr 920707)

I am still confused because the 08:11 pair does not match any
partition on my system:

# cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

   8     0    8886762 sda
   8     1     195568 sda1
   8     2     976896 sda2
   8     3    1952768 sda3
   8     4    5761024 sda4
   8    16    8886762 sdb
   8    17    8886256 sdb1

# mount -t ext3
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda3 on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /var type ext3 (rw,data=journal)

Thanks for your reply.

--
Nicolas