[Ambassadors] FAD EMEA 2009 in Rheinfelden

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Thu Jul 2 07:39:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009, Sandro "red" Mathys wrote:

> My thoughts for 2010 are the same as they were a year ago for 2009:
> - We should not make LinuxTag our primary event in Europe. Maybe we
> shouldn't even be present there at all.
> ...that opinion was/is widely shared, discussed and still ignored.

I remember the conversation differently than you do, Sandro.  I remember
saying that as a stand-alone event, we could not invest in LinuxTag the
same way that we had in past years.  Because we held FUDCon there this
year, it was still a large event, but in my opinion, next year's
LinuxTag is "just another event".  That is only my opinion.

> Everything else is handled throughout the year, anyway. Mostly behind
> closed doors, anyway. And mostly decided upon by only 1 or 2 people,
> anyway.

Really?  Every Ambassador who wants to take responsibility for something
can do so, and I make sure that everyone gets the resources that they
need.  What is being decided behind closed doors, or only by one or two
people?  When has a decision been made, for which no explanation was
given?  I think that every ambassador in Europe has their own freedom to
get stuff done, whenever they want.  I try to tell everyone "yes" who
wants to do an activity.

> By the way, during FAD EMEA 2008 you told us you are in contact with a
> vendor to produce, sell and ship Fedora merchandise all over Europe. I
> probably missed the link to that shop, which was established during
> the last 7 or so months. I also missed every status update on that.

You haven't missed anything.  It's just not set up yet.  This is my
fault, not Gerold's, and I hope to remedy it soon.

> - (During FAD), 2-3 people's votes/opinion count while the others are
> merely ignored

I'm sorry that you feel this way.  I try very hard to listen to
everyone.

> - During FAD, many things are decided upon or promised to be worked on
> but normally nothing happens about those things after on

Aside from the store (which I addressed), what else?

--Max