GDM themes/face browser

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Fri Jan 12 15:28:46 UTC 2007

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hey Andreas!
>
>> Nicu Buculei wrote:
>>> - think if we need additional faces (there are some in
>>> /usr/share/pixmaps/faces/ not sure if those are enough/original/pretty)
>
> Andreas Nilsson wrote:
>> Garrett Lesage and myself did some initial work on this some time ago.
>> http://primates.ximian.com/~glesage/wiki/user_pictures
>
> This is really nice. I noticed this:
>
> 'Standard image size: 48×48 or 64×64 – currently undecided'
>
> Maybe it should be the same size as some of the avatars or buddy icons
> that are already in wide use today? E.g. livejournal avatars are
> 100x100 and aim buddy icons are 50x50. There's already a lot of these
> icons that are easily available for users to add in for themselves.
>
> Just an idea anyway!

Sounds like a good idea. I think we need to aim as high as required by
gdm (128x128?) as photos will scale down properly, but not up without
things looking bad. The hope is that people will replace these with a
picture of themselves, their dog or some random funny picture they found
on the internet when personalizing their system.
- Andreas