Idea for future releases

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 19:43:09 UTC 2007

On 10/23/07, Michael Beckwith <michael.d.beckwith at gmail.com> wrote:
> I meant more in like this. For Fedora 9, all of the theme submissions
> follow a certain style of art, and then Fedora 10 does a different
> style.

While I'm not against the idea of constraining submission within some
artistic scoping early in the theme process.. I think its going to be
tough to come to a consensus as to what artistic style to constrain
submission before submission mockups even start coming in.  I think it
would be easier to come to an agreement as to a few styles to avoid
because they are too similar to previous styles, then it is to decree
a specific style to be used 6+ months ahead of its final rendering.

If I were going suggest some initial constraints.  I wouldn't
constrain artist style too heavily, but I would suggest using the
thematic elements to emphasis a feature focus for that release. Now
that we are grinding out information as to features in a transparent
feature process, perhaps the art group can use that information for
thematic focus.    Sort of like how design firms match artistic
elements to important product characteristics. For each Fedora release
going forward, the important 'sellable' characteristics are going to
be in the feature process for that release.

-jef