Art Studio Spin?

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Fri Sep 7 14:36:55 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> So... now that the Fedora Electronics Lab is consumable from rawhide
> and is appearing on the torrent server I thought this would be a good
> time to ask.
>
> Is there interest in building a spin which is myopically focused on
> the art designer?
> Is the desktop oriented livecd good enough.. or is there room for a
> yet more focused spin
> for the designer usage case? And if so, can it be done inside the
> existing Fedora repository space without reaching for external bits?
>

> -jef"Fedora spins are the new drug... and I want to be the new drug
> pusher hanging out in the neighborhood playground, or library, or
> coffe eshop, or where ever."spaleta

Hi Jeff!
This seems to be similar to what Ubuntu Studio [1] is doing, Nice to
have more alternatives, even though I guess it's still a bit of a niche
market.
For a graphics designer GIMP, Inkscape and Scribus are the killer apps,
so make sure to include those!
Perhaps some nice web-devel tools would be nice as well, like NVU (is
that still alive?) and Firefox with firebug installed by default.
One thing that would probably be cool to put on a cd is a collection of
good, free fonts (open font license, public domain stuff or whatever)
that a designer can use right out of the box.
- Andreas

1. http://ubuntustudio.org/