Fedora 8 Test 2 Desktop Live Echo Icon Review

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Sun Sep 16 13:22:06 UTC 2007

Hi,

following Mo's example on our current default theme I analysed the
coverage of Echo icons in the last echo-icon-theme package in rawhide
and in latest git snapshot from trunk (which has enabled SVGs, some new
icons and some minor fixes to icon names not in naming specs [1]) as
seen on the Desktop Live from Test 2. The result is pretty bad and there
is a lot of work to do... Also, I took the chance and for applications
that uses icons that are not in the naming specs I created names for
their icons following the same guidelines and put them in brackets
alongside with the original icon name. Comments to the proposed names
welcome :)

You can see the analysis on the EchoToDo/Menus wiki page [2].

The investigation showed some interesting things. First that some
applications has hardcoded icon paths in their desktop files, some
include icon size in their icon name (so, instead of blueradio we have
blueradio-48, etc.) and some applications include extension, which is
not always png. Secondly, many applications does not install their icons
to hicolor icon theme and many applications actually has only one size
of the icon (usually 48x48). I think these issues should be investigated
alongside the icon creation and fixed. I propose that whoever chose to
create an application icon check the application's desktop file as well
and if something is wrong then file a bug in redhat bugzilla [3].

Dunno, whether these things are mentioned on package guidelines, but I
think it would be worth to at least some of them use (like installation
of application icons to hicolor icon theme and usage only of the icon
name, without extension and path, in the desktop files).

So, and now to the Echo icons, the results are on the wiki page [2] as
well, but I'll list them here as well, so that you need not to load
whole page (which includes screenshots):

Priority Count Short description

Critical 55 Icons that are both blurry and are not included
in the Echo icon set

Very High 2 Echo icons with three or more issues

High 25 Echo cons with two issues

Medium 2 Echo icons with one rendering issue

Low 1 Echo icons with minor issue, like wrong or
missing symlink

Very Low 14 Non Echo icons that are displayed OK

Zero 16 Echo icons that are OK

total 115 all icons present in F8 Test 2 Desktop Live
menus

As you can see, the number of missing icons is big, as well as the
number of icons that are blurry. There is a lot of work to be done...

Comments, icons, etc. are more than welcome. I hope the page looks good
and is easy to follow, I'd like if it served like a better and fuller
ToDo [4] list, which is currently slightly outdated and, IMHO, needs to
be recreated.

Oh, and I haven't found the icon names used in desktop files for System
-> Administration -> {Bootloader,Root Password} icons, since I don't
have them in my machine, and haven't rebooted to the Live CD since
yesterday when I did the screenshots, so if anyone has the knowledge of
these feel free to replace the '??' with the current icon name (without
size suffices, extensions and paths).

Thanks,
Martin