A Thought About F9 Artwork

Uno Engborg uno at webworks.se
Thu Jan 3 23:29:19 UTC 2008

2008/1/3, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>:

> The rest of the graphics (except maybe splash screens) I would agree
> deserve refinement because they serve a more functional role. Users
> interact with window borders and buttons and icons and whatnot. But
> the desktop background itself is purely expressive.

No, the background is much more than purely expressive. It  constituetes
the background
for icons placed on the desktop. As such it can provide landmarks for
finding
a certain icon. As many users use the desktop for storing files files it is
also
of utter importance that it is not too conspicious, so that it disturbs the
user.

In essence it should be there but not be noticed all that much. E.g it can
be
a good idea to avoid figurative images. It is also important to make the
smallest
detail in the image much larger than the icon size, or it could make it
harder
for visually impaired people to differentiate between the background and
icon
contours. i.e. it acts like camoflage.

Some kind of easy identifyable subtle pattern is good especially if it is a
bit
unsymetric an unrepeated. That way it provides good landmarks to help the
user remember how his icons are placed.

Regards
Uno Engborg