Applying to the Art group in the Accounts System

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Mar 20 11:37:36 UTC 2008

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Do you think it would be fair to require folks applying for art accounts
> to post a self-introduction to the list? How about complete at least one
> minor design task? (EG hackergotchi or banner design off the design queue?)

Here is a first draft (it probably could use corrections from a native
English speaker) for the message to be sent to people who requested
membership and have not been accepted yet:

Hi [name],

I am [name], one of the sponsors or the Art group in the Fedora Account
system (FAS).

I write to you as a follow-up to your request to join our group. We
receive a lot of such requests, some of them coming from people unknown
to us or inactive in the Art Team.

If you want to join this group, please subscribe to the Fedora-Art
mailing list [1] and write a small introduction,allowing us to know you.
Also if you want to show us your capabilities, please have a look at our
jobs queue [2] try to accomplish an open task from there and post it to
the list.

Note that if you will not act in any way, after 2 weeks your request
will be deleted automatically.

Be aware that membership in the Art group of the FAS is not a
requirement to participate in the project, to post or answer questions
on the mailing list, on IRC or to use the Wiki, it is a privilege
granted to established contributors.

[1] - https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/
[2] - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/DesignService

I think the message for current but inactive or unknown members can be
similar (modeled by the same structure).

There is a category of existing members on which I am not sure how to
act: people active in general in the Fedora project, members in other
groups of the FAS (for example in the Ambassadors group) but not active
in Art. I am not sure how/if the Art membership is useful to them (or
not useful to us) but I also do not want to kick them out, they are our
colleagues.

There is also a category: "former Red Hat employees who left Red Hat and
Fedora and will never come back (we know that as a fact since the way
they left)" (wow! how lame am I to create such a category for only one
person only not to name her :D). I think in such case I can delete on
the spot, right?