[Echo] Reworked media-optical icon

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed May 7 08:06:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 07:58 +0200, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> Hi Martyn!
Hi Andreas!

> Is there a sane user case for when you need to use these labels?
> The only one I can think of is "I have both a Blueray and a HDDVD player
> on my machine. I inserted both yesterday and they are both movie X, now
> I can't tell them apart". Not a very common situation though.
> I personally never found labels like these helping since I only use one
> disc media at a time and with different titles. Instead they tend make
> things look more busy, especially at the smaller sizes.
> - Andreas

That's one of the reasons it is not differentiated in 16x16. At bigger
sizes one of the reasons might be (re)writeable media - having although
you most likely know what media you have put in your drive, I've already
met people who thought they were using CD while it was a DVD... Also, in
the isometric perspective the text helps (subjectively) to define the
perspective. Also, for some reason I don't know, upstream default (gnome
icon theme) does that distinction as well.

Do you think those reasons are enough?

Martin

PS: I am Martin, not Martyn ;-)