pungi & nrofdiscs?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jan 22 13:17:25 UTC 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 03:00, Jeroen Janssen wrote:
> I just was wondering about the discs option in pungi.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to just specify the size of disc(s)?
>
> I mean, specifying the nr of discs implies that you know beforehand
> the total discsize needed. What if I specify discs=5 and somehow the
> needed discspace exceeds 5 discs?
>
> If we just could specify the size of the discs, that means you
> automaticly end up with the amount of CDs needed for everything you
> want.
>
> Anyway, this way if you want to generate a DVD you just specify
> discsize to be of a DVD, or if you want multiple DVDs (think about
> CORE + EXTRAS) that's also solved aswell then.
>
> The only 'downside' is that you probably need multiple runs of pungi
> if you want to generate both DVD and CDs.
>
> Any other thoughts on this?

The problem is that anaconda-runtime is what splits the content across the
CDs.  It doesn't have the ability to look at the size and divide evenly.

The roadmap is to move the splitting and package order logic out of
anaconda-runtime and into createrepo itself, so that createrepo can split
evenly across, splittree would just follow the manifest laid out by
createrepo to put the packages in the right place.

Neither of these things fall under the pungi project, pungi just makes use of
these tools to get the compose created.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora