problems of running koji on CentOS with EPEL packages

Mike McLean mikem at redhat.com
Wed Feb 11 20:46:54 UTC 2009

Greg Swift wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 19:28, 陈鲍孜 <chenbaozi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> At the beginning of wiki "
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Koji/ServerHowToProposed", it is mentioned
>> that - "
>>
>>> Builders
>>>      By default these will be referred to as *kojibuilderX*, but can also
>>> be the hostname(s) of the boxes that will be setup as builders. TODO: can
>>> also or should ?
>>>
>> "
>> I think this may be why I can't make it correctly. What I'm confused now is
>> what the mentioned "hostname(s)".
>
> Yeah, as you can tell I was even a bit confused by that section (thus the
> TODO with the question, I was hoping for some input).  The impression I got
> from the original box was that kojibuilder1, kojibuilder2 etc was the naming
> they were using on their hosts, so by having the username be the same it
> helped you tie the koji user to the build box.  When I implemented this on
> my network I used the name of the box as the koji userid.  This does not
> cause koji to automatically associate the two, but allows you as the admin
> to make the association.   If someone has a better explanation i'm open to
> suggestions since my attempt at clarification didn't quite hit the mark.

The koji database has tables for both hosts and users. Each host has an
associated user that the host authenticates as. Due to a bad choice on
my part, both the host table and user table have a 'name' column, so it
is theoretically possible (if you muck around in the db manually) to
create a situation where the name of the host entry is not the same as
the name of the associated user entry. /However/ the cli (and the api)
do not facilitate this. In all normal situations the name of the host
and the name of the associated user will be the same.

When you run 'koji add-host', the hub will create both the host and user
entries. There is no need to manually add a user for the host, the
add-host command will do it for you. If a user of the same name already
exists (host or not) the command will fail.

You are free to name the hosts anything you like. You do not have to use
the fqdn or anything.

The user kojid authenticates as determines which host it represents. The
machine it is running on is not a direct factor.

> Anyways, in the Builder Setup section you add the host to koji's database
> and then on the builder you specify the host as the user in
> /etc/kojid/kojid.conf, these should match.  It was my impression that this
> should match the user name that you created in the SSL configuration.  I'm
> not sure if you are using SSL, and that might be adding to the confusion if
> you are not *shrug*

Authentication in koji can get messy. Sometimes when getting started, it
is easier to start out using password auth and tackle ssl/krb later.
Note that you should not use password auth in production.