3D screensavers - separate package

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Mon Dec 15 20:57:31 UTC 2003

I'm pretty sure this has came up before, but I can't seem to find it.  So if
this has been rehashed alot of times, feel free to send me to send me to the
resolution.

Although 3D graphics cards are becoming more and more common, not all machines
have them, or have 3D turned on.  As such, since the default screensaver is
random, it's only a matter of time before a machine pulls one up.
For a machine with a 3D enabled card, this is no big deal, and can be quite
pretty.
For a machine that is doing all the 3D effects via software, it can slow the
machine down, grind it to a halt, get it extremely hot, etc ...

Can Fedora pull out it's screensavers that need/want 3D hardware acceleration,
and bundle them into a separate 3d-screensavers rpm?

If the answer is no, for whatever the reason, well, then it is.
If the answer is yes, then I can probrubly help give a hand.

Troy
Troy Dawson  dawson at fnal.gov  (630)840-6468