Sudo for first user

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Sat Oct 4 19:27:36 UTC 2008

On 10/04/2008 08:09 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
> 4) Does it still make sense to have a root password (and root account)?

Of course!

Isn't the strong point of Unix/Linux/etc. the security model where one
makes a *distinction* between ordinary user and the "super-user" root?

I.e. why make a user the "super-user", or make one user be able to use
all root's commands simply by using sudo? This means that if the users
password gets known, that persons account will get you the same
privileges as root.

Why not instead try to educate people to use a really strong password
for root, only use root when necessary, and perhaps teach them to add
certain not-that-dangerous-commands to sudo?

For me it looks as if you want to go away from the security model used
for years, I ask myself, why?

/Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>