FC4 slimfast slimfest

Eric Warnke eric at snowmoon.com
Mon Feb 21 23:32:10 UTC 2005

I think the point made here is quite important.  Another package that
could be droped from core is nss_db because it's been half broken since
FC3 ( possibly before ) and is using at least 1mb of space needlessly.
It has been statically linked against db4.0 thereby driving up the size
of the binaries.  Also, thrid party tools linked against db4.2 ( now
default ) libraries are incompatible with nss_db because it is
statically linked against 4.0.

I submitted a patched .src.rpm file that corrects those problems so that
not only are the libraries much smaller, but third party db generator
tools work ( since they are generally statically linked ) and it has
just sat there without any changes.

So, please, move it to extras so that someone can maintain it.  There
may be dozens of packages like nss_db where the average person does not
use it, it has been poorly maintined, and it get isntalled by default on
all systems.

Cheers,
Eric

--

Eric Warnke                   Computer Programmer / Systems Analyst
eric at snowmoon.com                                      518-727-1523

'There is always an easy solution to every human problem -- neat,
plausible, and wrong.' - H.L. Mencken