rawhide report: 20050222 changes

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Feb 25 01:56:54 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, Michael Favia <michael.favia at insitesinc.com> said:
> And a viable CD based alternative should be provided. Including the
> ability to make "extras" cd's on the fly perhaps. but i dont think that
> the fedora project should organize itself around your problems because
> you represent the past.

I hardly think that not having "fast" network access everywhere you want
to install is "the past".  Network speed is relative; I have multiple
T3s at the office so I can download ISOs fast and burn them and carry
them home.  I have 1.5M DSL at home, but it would still take way too
long to install over that link.  For Fedora 3, Core + Extras = 3.5G.  If
I even installed 50% of that, it would take 2.6 hours to install (if the
install downloaded at 100% speed continuously, which it won't).  Also, I
don't always install where I have network access.

A significant part of the world does not have access to high speed
Internet access (and probably will not for the foreseeable future).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>