fedora-devel-list Digest, Vol 12, Issue 86

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 22:12:29 UTC 2005

On Feb 28, 2005, Rahul Sundaram <rahulsundaram at gmail.com> wrote:

>> was about building community with grass roots projects. Now it appears you
>> have to have a substantial group of people on a payroll to get into FC
>> core.

> not true. extras is made up of other people. I am pushing for fc core

Since it just happened twice in a row, I thought I'd point out that fc
core is a misnomer.  Fedora is the name of the distro, and it now has
two existing components: Core and Extras.  Core is what Red Hat
maintains; Extras is what the community maintains.  Unfortunately, the
Core installer still can't get packages from Extras installed, and
most likely won't before FC5.

>> What do we have to do to get back into core?

> propose it in the fedora extras list.

This wouldn't get it into Core.  It would get it into Extras, which,
by FC5's time-frame, would be nearly equivalent.  For FC4, it means
you won't be able to get it at install time, and a post-install step
would be required to bring it in.  Not a big deal if you're privileged
enough to have a fat net pipe on your Fedora-running box.