[Fedora-directory-devel] opening up the wiki

Seth Nickell snickell at redhat.com
Mon Jun 19 22:12:41 UTC 2006

On the principle of providing for the possibility general community
openness (i.e. lets not have barriers even if we're not getting a bunch
of people jumping in quite yet), I'd like to propose opening up the
wiki... i.e. not requiring manually approved accounts.

I think this raises some legitimate security concerns... about the best
response I can provide is that these just haven't been major practical
issues amongst wikis in the open source world. Defacing of wikis, about
the worst I've actually heard of in any projects I'm connected to (and
even this is rare), is very easy to revert.

Sometimes I think prudence and responsibility can be bad for having
functioning open source projects, which are inherently a little hacky
and fly-by-night in nature (even the very important ones that end up
running critical systems, ahem) ;-)

-Seth