[Fedora-directory-users] fedora directory and active directory

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Sat Jun 4 00:11:32 UTC 2005

William Francis wrote:

> I'm embarking on a project at my company to sync the two together.
> It's not important for me that fedora directory updates (passwords,
> etc) make it back to the active directory server, so I'd hope that the
> setup would be fairly straight forward.

This is an intrinsic supported feature. How to configure the feature is
documented in the Administrators Guide.

> It seems like this would be a common/useful way to use FDS and beyond
> setting it up myself I'm interested in writing a HOWTO so that others
> can do this easily without indepth knowledge of FDS or LDAP.

It's pretty easy : just create a 'sync agreement' in the console UI,
following the wizzard. You also need to install the Password Sync Service
on your Active Directory machine in order to have passwords
sync'ed _from_ Windows to DS (the other direction works without
the Password Sync Service).

> I do, however, lack this knowledge myself. Can someone provide a high
> level overview of what's needed to make this happen? I can fill in
> details myself as I have many years of UNIX, but reading through the
> online manual for most of the day it's not obvious to me how much
> setup needs to be done beyond the chapter specifically about syncing
> with active directory.

What other kinds of information were you looking for ?

> Thanks, and I promise at least a rough HOWTO out of this effort.

Hopefully no howto is needed beyond reading the manual.