[Fedora-directory-users] Messaging server

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 18:58:32 UTC 2005

jclowser at unitedmessaging.com wrote:

> Hehe - I know it's a bit of a bastard child, but what options are
> there other than Exchange?
>
> Apache/webdav
> Local personal calendars (outlook, sunbird, etc)
> OpenExchange
> A number of open source webcals
> A bunch of proprietary cal servers
>
> I know this is completely off topic for the FDS list, but I don't know
> of any good server based ldap integrated calendar solutions out there
> that allow fat clients, free/busy lookup, etc that compares to
> Exchange, and that often makes it really hard to convince people to
> accept a mail solution that is not Exchange, which in turn leads to AD
> as a directory service (my round about way to make it "on topic" :) )...

You are exactly right.  Red Hat is trying to figure out what to do with
those products.  We don't want to just dump a pile of code on the OS
community.  For one, the code has some third party stuff that we need to
replace with OS components.  For another, these products are very hard
to build outside the "walled garden".  Lastly, there have been some
changes to standards and markets since these products were actively
developed that need to be accounted for.  But you better believe that
Red Hat knows how valuable these products could be to the market and the
OS community.