[Fedora-directory-users] Re: Hostname does not match CN

Steven Bonneville sbonnevi at redhat.com
Tue Apr 4 14:40:40 UTC 2006

Rob Crittenden <rcritten at redhat.com> wrote:
> Alex aka Magobin wrote:
 [...]
> > today I tried to issue 2 server certs using the same CA...using the same
> > CN...I can make correctly the certs and in Manage Certificate I can see
> > both server certs with the same name...but when I try to establish ssl
> > encryption between servers:
> >
> > NSMMReplicationPlugin -agmt="cn="Replication to
> > nodo1.domain.example.com""(nodo1:636): Simple bind failed, LDAP sdk
> > error 81 (Can't contact LDAP server), Netscape Portable Runtime error-
> > 12276 (Unable to communicate securely with peer: requested domain name
> > does not match the server's certificate.)
> >
> > Is there someone that use two server Fedora DS to authenticate clients?
> > Even if I can browse in clear mode FDS both on nodo1 and nodo2...in
> > encrypt mode only one can certificate my clients?
>
> This isn't an SSL problem, it's a problem with the way you are trying to
> use it. You are trying to present the world with a single directory
> server and behind the scenes have 2 physical servers. Nothing wrong with
> this but you were told a while back that this could be a problem.
>
> You basically need your machine to answer to 2 separate things: its
> "real" hostname and the "cluster" hostname.
>
> As I see it, there are 2 ways to resolve this. I'm not a DS engineer so
> I can't say which one is more plausible/possible, and there may be other
> ways that I'm not seeing.
>
> 1. The easiest solution is to use a wildcard in the SSL server
> certificate hostname: CN=*.example.com. This is super ugly but should
> work. Note that you'll never get a CA like Verisign to issue you a
> wildcard server certificate. So if you are using your own self-signed CA
> during testing and plan to get server certs later from another CA beware.
>
> 2. I wonder if it is possible to set up multiple listeners and assign a
> separate SSL certificate to each one. Then you could have
> CN=host1.example.com on say port 638 for replication and
> CN=ldap.example.com on 636 for general use.
>
> I don't know of #2 is even possible right now. #1 definitely is but has
> issues. One of the reasons for SSL is to prevent man-in-the-middle
> attacks. This is preceisely the problem you are having. SSL is detecting
> that things aren't lining up like they should and preventing you from
> continuing. While a wildcard certificate will get around this you must
> understand that you are also giving up a certain amount of security.

Does Directory Server support the subjectAltName extension on SSL certs?
If it does, then you could create a certificate with a subject of
cn=ldap.domain.example.com,... and a subjectAltName of something like
DNS:nodo1.domain.example.com.  I think you can have multiple subjectAltName
extensions on one certificate.

See /usr/share/doc/openssl-0.9.7a/openssl.txt for some more details. I'm
not a DS engineer either, and while it's on my "to do" list, I haven't
tried this myself yet.

  -- Steve Bonneville