PDF Generation broken.

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jan 27 22:34:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 12:51 +0000, Stuart Ellis wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:20:19 -0000 (GMT), "Gavin Henry"
> <ghenry at suretecsystems.com> said:
> > <quote who="Tim Waugh">
> > > On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 06:32:34PM -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
>
> > > If we had a fop package for Fedora, and someone was willing to make
> > > the necessary adjustments to xmlto, I feel sure that things would be
> > > bound to improve.
>
> As a practical matter, what should document authors be doing at this
> point ?
>
> I'm going to spend some more time this weekend on putting the
> screenshots into the Installation Guide, so I can try to figure out
> correct dimensions on the EPS files, build PDFs (albeit with broken
> headings) and guinea pig anything else that people would like.
>
> On the other hand, if PDF output is Officially Broken then should I be
> leaving out the EPS stuff from the DocBook source that I push out ?

Personally, I'd make the doc PDF capable while it was fresh and in front
of me, rather then going in to backfill that work later.  Unless time
required otherwise.  In the long run, the time won't be wasted.  PDF
will eventually work.

OTOH, if you want dispensation to drop the EPS work because PDF is
broken, by all means, go ahead. ;-)  It won't be _that_ much harder to
do it later instead.

               IT executives rate Red Hat #1 for value
                 http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/