Self Introduction: John Wess

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 07:41:57 UTC 2007

On Nov 25, 2007 8:32 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-11-24 at 08:42 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 14:11 -0500, John Wess wrote:
> > > I would be happy to help out with the Desktop User's Guide. Any
> > > guidance offered would be appreciated.

Welcome to Fedora Docs Project, John!

As already noted, the link to the wiki section for the DUG is

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/DesktopUserGuide

> The topic (and John Wess's name) came up in today's meeting and I see
> that he's in the wiki EditGroup now.  JohnW, you should be hearing from
> John Babich very shortly on helping with this.  I believe there are a
> couple other contributors lined up to help.

That would be me (jmbuser on IRC). JonathanRoberts, MarcWiriadisastra
and DanOBrien are currently editing the DUG, but there plenty to do and
more help is always welcome.

In terms of desktop apps, they can be categorized as GNOME, KDE, Xfce
and common apps. GNOME apps are pretty well covered, since they were
the default apps. KDE apps are getting more attention recently. Xfce apps
are not covered at all AFAIK.

The common apps are OpenOffice.org, Firefox, etc.

John, you are now in the EditGroup, so feel free to start editing a section.
You can add new material or review what's been written so far and make
spelling and/or grammatical corrections.

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/StyleGuide for guidelines.

At the same time, don't get tripped up with the mechanics of wiki writing.
I regularly review the DUG and can fix things, like the format of the
admonitions, as needed..

> Remember that with the wiki, you can pretty much jump right in if you're
> a self-directing type.  Be bold!

Definitely be bold. The wiki has an automatic versioning system, so if things
really go bad, we can always revert to a previous version.

Dive in!

Best Regards,

John Babich
Lead writer, DUG