Order of searching

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Apr 19 13:58:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:40:09 +0100, PFJ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> AIUI, /usr/local/bin is looked in before /usr/bin which is before /bin.
> The same applies to /usr/local/lib.
>
> However, I've noticed with some of my mono packages that when I
> explicitly say the _libdir is /usr/lib, that the compiled binaries look
> in /usr/lib64/pkgconfig for a .pc file when they are actually
> in /usr/lib/pkgconfig (64 bit architecture obviously!)

Which binaries? pkg-config? If not, you need to examine whether your
%_libdir re-definition is really picked up and makes it into your
compiled binaries (via Makefiles or customised header files).

> I'm at a loss as to how to fix this. Shouldn't the same order system
> work as normal (i.e. /usr/lib64/pkgconfig fails so look
> in /usr/lib/pkgconfig)?

No. PKG_CONFIG_PATH search order is libdir/pkgconfig:datadir/pkgconfig
with libdir and datadir being build-time constants. So, if you compile
pkg-config with %_libdir = /usr/lib64, it searches in /usr/lib64/pkgconfig
and never in /usr/lib/pkgconfig.