help! My re-compiled kernel always got crashed in a machine with scsi/sata disk

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 21:53:05 UTC 2007

Feng Xian wrote:
> I downloaded a clean version of 2.6.23 and didnt do any modification on
> it (athough I am about to modify it in the future). By default, the
> clean version doesnt enable sata features, so I enabled these features
> and compiled this clean version. But I couldn't boot linux with the
> compiled kernel like I mentioned in my previous posts.

Like I said, its not a Fedora kernel, and thus not something we can
reasonably support here. The only possible list-relevant bit of info
here would be knowing *why* you're building your own, such that we can
make the Fedora kernel provide what you need so you don't have to, if
possible and/or relevant.

That said, seeing as how a Fedora kernel does boot your system, you'll
probably get a lot closer to a bootable system with your own kernel if
you start with the Fedora kernel config file instead of the upstream
kernel config file, and go from there.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com