revisit: turning some of the "always used" modules to built-in

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Sun Jun 22 20:57:21 UTC 2008

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> I would like to ask feedback on this list, with the goal of getting
> these changes made to fedora 10 asap to then get a wider audience input
> to see if anything breaks.
>

> Category 1: Always loaded anyway
> --------------------------------
> Rationale: Since we load these always anyway, why bother making it modules
> - ata_generic, pata_acpi
> - libata
> - sg, sd_mod, scsi_mod
> - ext3, jbd, mbcache

One minor thing, when I'm debugging ext3 in a fedora kernel it's awfully
nice to boot on a non-ext3 root and then be able to load/unload test
ext3 modules.  That's a little whiny of me; of course I can just rebuild
the kernel with ext3 modular for testing but sometimes it's a very quick
way to be able to troubleshoot on a particular kernel if necessary.

As an even more minor thing not *everyone* uses ext3, but I guess 99.9%
of the Fedora universe is close enough.  :)

-Eric