revisit: turning some of the "always used" modules to built-in

Arjan van de Ven arjan at infradead.org
Sun Jun 22 21:04:53 UTC 2008

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 15:57:21 -0500
Eric Sandeen <sandeen at redhat.com> wrote:

> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
> > I would like to ask feedback on this list, with the goal of getting
> > these changes made to fedora 10 asap to then get a wider audience
> > input to see if anything breaks.
> >

> > Category 1: Always loaded anyway
> > --------------------------------
> > Rationale: Since we load these always anyway, why bother making it
> > modules
> > - ata_generic, pata_acpi
> > - libata
> > - sg, sd_mod, scsi_mod
> > - ext3, jbd, mbcache
>
> One minor thing, when I'm debugging ext3 in a fedora kernel it's
> awfully nice to boot on a non-ext3 root and then be able to
> load/unload test ext3 modules.  That's a little whiny of me; of
> course I can just rebuild the kernel with ext3 modular for testing
> but sometimes it's a very quick way to be able to troubleshoot on a
> particular kernel if necessary.

I understand your point. the contrast to this is the easy of debugging
(being able to turn oopses into source+asm crash views etcc) and the
reliability thing of being able to still boot and mount / when you end
up with a b0rked initrd etc.

> As an even more minor thing not *everyone* uses ext3, but I guess
> 99.9% of the Fedora universe is close enough.  :)

those who use xfs and the like often have a /boot that still is ext3 ;)
but yeah even the 99.9% is enough..

If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan at linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org