OT: Apt and the kernel

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Jan 7 05:48:56 UTC 2004

Cameron Moore wrote:
> How about another dumb question?  Okay, here goes...
>
> Apt never seems to notice that a new kernel package is available for
> updating -- I have to explicitly list the available kernel packages and
> install the new one.  Is this a bug or a feature?  In either case, is
> there a way to fix this annoying behavior?  I've seen it happen before
> on a different package, but I don't recall what it was.  Thanks

That is older apt, and apt from FreshRPMS and other paackagers.  apt
from fedora.us (soon to be published for Legacy too) is totally not made
to be used for automated upgrades like some people currently use yum.
As a result, our apt is set to offer to upgrade to the latest kernel if
it is available.

As always however, it is your job to reboot later.

Warren