OT: Apt and the kernel

Cameron Moore lists at unbeatenpath.net
Wed Jan 7 06:06:33 UTC 2004

* warren at togami.com (Warren Togami) [2004.01.06 23:49]:
> Cameron Moore wrote:
> > How about another dumb question?  Okay, here goes...
> >
> > Apt never seems to notice that a new kernel package is available for
> > updating -- I have to explicitly list the available kernel packages and
> > install the new one.  Is this a bug or a feature?  In either case, is
> > there a way to fix this annoying behavior?  I've seen it happen before
> > on a different package, but I don't recall what it was.  Thanks
>
> That is older apt, and apt from FreshRPMS and other paackagers.  apt
> from fedora.us (soon to be published for Legacy too) is totally not made
> to be used for automated upgrades like some people currently use yum.
> As a result, our apt is set to offer to upgrade to the latest kernel if
> it is available.
>
> As always however, it is your job to reboot later.

I'm perfectly fine with that.  I don't do auto-updates, but I do have a
little cron job that checks for available apt updates to make sure I
don't miss a server.  I mostly just want apt to be _aware_ of the
upgrade -- I can do the update manually.

Thanks for all your work, Warren.
--
Cameron Moore
[ Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?" ]