mysql-server

Pettit, Paul ismanager at ccbnpts.com
Wed Apr 13 18:26:26 UTC 2005

> Eric Rostetter wrote:
>
> Quoting "Pettit, Paul" <ismanager at ccbnpts.com>:
>
> > Or actual work and the fact that there was no good way to make a
> > contribution to the documents might have been factor.
>
> There are good ways to contribute.  I admit the wiki was a
> problem, but
> there are other ways.

The "other ways" is this list AFAIK and since I had already been reamed for
voicing my opinion on scheduled vs. un-scheduled (/ asap) updates that left
... Ummm ... No other outlet.

Feel free to correct me if I've missed something.

> > Or maybe one got tired of being called stupid and let the
> ball pass to
> > others. Since I was a sole minority in this discussion, I
> just didn't feel
> > my input would be viewed with any merit or that I would be
> taken seriously.
>
> Problem was you were taken seriously, but you didn't take the
> discussions
> you started, or the replies you received, seriously.

Maybe in your opinion I didn't.

Later in the discussion I conceeded that I had not taken the global part of
FL into account. I also noted that because of the global issue that a local
solution to the problem was probably best. This also was based on other's
input in the discussion.

So it would seem I was taking other's input seriously but maybe I just
wasn't giving your input the same weight.

> > Can we just call it now and move on?
>
> If you are happy with what I did to the documentation, don't
> want any further
> changes, and have found a solution that works for you, then
> there is no
> reason to pursue this further.
>
> --
> Eric Rostetter

The future is is not a set thing (IMHO) so if your looking for a "you said"
card to prevent me from coming back to this then I can't help you.

I will say that the page is well done and covers all that was discussed here
in regards to auto-updating and it's danger in regards to FL updates when
used on production machines. There are two best practice issues 1) that you
should patch critical bugs (i.e. security issues) asap and 2) that you
should not rely in auto-updating because update packages need to be
evaluated regardless of what testing was done prior to release. Those points
were not covered prior to your additions but now are. Well done.

My original opinion, however, on the subject of FL update release timing has
not changed. Even though now I know and accept that there is nothing FL
management can do, because of the nature of the community, I still wish
there was. I feel that updates should be released on a more scheduled basis
but with the mydrid of TZ and holidays through out the world it's too
complex an issue for FL to deal with. I can live with that as there are work
arounds based on local coding / cron editing (some detailed in your
document) as discussed by myself and others.

Paul Pettit
CTO and IS Manager
Consistent Computer Bargains Inc.

I've heard it said that the proof of lunacy is when you repeat the same
steps expecting different results.  I say it's proof that you're a Microsoft
user. - comment by deshi777 on experts-exchange.com