Yum did it again

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:22:47 UTC 2005

Sorry to extend the thread once again, just passing on some rudimentary
tips and a bit of FDP info.

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 11:50 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 23 June 2005 11:29, Jesse Keating wrote:
> >On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 10:11 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
[...snip...]
> The fact that it never made bugzilla, and even worked in some cases is
> 2 seperate items.  See my last msg for my feelings re bugzilla.  The
> fact that it worked for some might be because they installed from
> scratch.  I didn't, and don't, want to lose my archives, 3 GB of
> music I'd have to rerip, and 20GB of photos I'll have to suck back
> out of amanda to recover.  Those are pretty good reasons to just
> update.

A good partitioning setup would fix this problem.  For instance, if you
keep your archives somewhere in /home/$USER, just make your /home a
separate partition or LVM volume.  Now you can install without fear,
just use the installation option for "Leave file system unchanged" for
that partition/volume.  I do this all the time, with 10 GB of materials
that have survived reinstallations for RHL 8.0 and 9, FC1, 2, and 3 thus
far.  Many people with production servers have similar experiences,
whether running enterprise products like RHEL or Fedora.

> And the FC4 install just lied to me.  On that 'sacrificial box' it
> said I could fine tune its automatic disk config, but it went right
> ahead and formatted the drive and FC4 is about half installed without
> ever showing me what it did to /dev/hdb's 46GB.  Where is /swap for
> instance, which I don't want on the same spindle as the rest of the
> system just to keep from thrashing the seeks.  Apparently I won't
> know till I reboot and do a df.

Hmm, I hate to cast the problem on the "Big OE," as we say in my office,
but I haven't observed this behavior while using the installer.  Once
again, if you can reproduce behavior, use Bugzilla to file it.

(I know that you complained about Bugzilla being hard to use, and while
I don't agree, as a Fedora Documentation Project writer/editor, I can
tell you authoritatively that we are planning a Bugzilla tutorial
document that will help novices use it.  Many people don't need that
help, but for others in the same boat as you, it may be indispensable,
especially since your problems can't be worked on effectively without BZ
bug entries.  I'm telling you this because I would like to invite you to
join the fedora-docs-list and volunteer to test the Bugzilla tutorial
from an end-user point of view when it's ready.)

If you really need to do the formatting yourself from scratch, you
should be able to use the "manual" option, and if Disk Druid doesn't
suffice, you can use fdisk from the virtual tty2 (hit Ctrl+Alt+F2) and
then see if Disk Druid will cope with your assignments.  It's quite a
decent system now, and again, for specific problems, you can file a bug
against "anaconda" with details if it doesn't work right for you.

Once again, sorry to extend the thread.  If you'd like to discuss
further let's take it offlist where it belongs.  To the extent I can
help you via email, I'd be happy to do so.