Yum did it again

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jun 23 19:21:23 UTC 2005

On Thursday 23 June 2005 13:22, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>  I didn't, and don't, want to lose my
>> archives, 3 GB of music I'd have to rerip, and 20GB of photos I'll
>> have to suck back out of amanda to recover.  Those are pretty good
>> reasons to just update.

OTOH, with my amanda wrappers scripts save it all, I can extract a
fully functional /home, and all the amanda records from the hd
archive I have setup here in less than an hour, so restoreing a
working amanda (cd /home/amanda/last_version, make install, ldconfig)
is no real problem.

>A good partitioning setup would fix this problem.  For instance, if
> you keep your archives somewhere in /home/$USER, just make your
> /home a separate partition or LVM volume.  Now you can install
> without fear, just use the installation option for "Leave file
> system unchanged" for that partition/volume.  I do this all the
> time, with 10 GB of materials that have survived reinstallations
> for RHL 8.0 and 9, FC1, 2, and 3 thus far.  Many people with
> production servers have similar experiences, whether running
> enterprise products like RHEL or Fedora.
>
>> And the FC4 install just lied to me.  On that 'sacrificial box' it
>> said I could fine tune its automatic disk config, but it went
>> right ahead and formatted the drive and FC4 is about half
>> installed without ever showing me what it did to /dev/hdb's 46GB.
>> Where is /swap for instance, which I don't want on the same
>> spindle as the rest of the system just to keep from thrashing the
>> seeks.  Apparently I won't know till I reboot and do a df.

And no /swap is showing in /etc/mtab.  Here is fstab from that box:

[root at shop ~]# cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot1            /boot                   ext3    defaults
1 2
/dev/devpts             /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
0 0
/dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
0 0
/dev/proc               /proc                   proc    defaults
0 0
/dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs   defaults
0 0
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults
0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults
0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdd                /media/cdrom            auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

So, which swap is it useing?  Call me puzzled.

send a request to "fedora-docs-list-request at redhat.com"?

>If you really need to do the formatting yourself from scratch, you
>should be able to use the "manual" option, and if Disk Druid doesn't
>suffice,

Disk Druid, while seemingly giving you the options to do what you
want, will then proceed to re-arrange the partition orders & types so
that /dev/hda2=100 megs for /dos in fat32, gets to be /var.  And you
cannot even install, let alone boot with only a 100 meg /var.  Rescue
disk to the handy once you get it figure out what the hell happened.
Difficult without better clues, lots better clues.

>you can use fdisk from the virtual tty2 (hit Ctrl+Alt+F2)
> and then see if Disk Druid will cope with your assignments.  It's
> quite a decent system now, and again, for specific problems, you
> can file a bug against "anaconda" with details if it doesn't work
> right for you.
>
>Once again, sorry to extend the thread.  If you'd like to discuss
>further let's take it offlist where it belongs.  To the extent I can
>help you via email, I'd be happy to do so.

Ok, hit me off-list then.  In the meantime I need to hit the showers
as my tv station where I've been the Chief for the last 21 years is
celebrating its 45th birthday & I intend to sample the fine, locally
made Lambert Winery's product which will be available in quantities,
along with some decent food suitable for a diabetic. :-)

Back late tonight or tomorrow.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)