[FLSA-2005:2336] Updated kernel packages fix security issues

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Mar 2 21:10:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 15:34 -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> How?  You are assuming that everyone on the mailinglist knew you were
> on
> IRC (not everyone uses that, only the core people seem to), or that
> they
> know your work email or phone (i haven't a clue what you do for work,
> nor do i really care).  The point is the onus was on YOU to
> communicate
> after the issue was raised, not the other way around.

The people that really needed to know, the builders and such, they knew
where to find me and got informed rather quickly.  There is no onus.
Are you paying me money to produce these updates?  Are you paying me
money to keep the webserver up and working?  Did I somehow enter into a
contract that states that you must be kept informed of everything that
happens around the project?  I didn't think so.  Get off it already.
The outage was supposed to have been for a day, then I was told it was
only the next day, then the next.  Then it came up and sending anything
out was a moot point anyway.

> > Instead of spending effort to say that we're down and working on it
> > (people already KNEW we were down, and people DID know I was
> working
> > on it), I chose instead to WORK on it.
>
> BINGO!  Your definition of who knew is different than mine.  You
> *thought* everyone knew when in fact they didn't.  Yes some people did
> know, those people should have stepped up to the plate and told the
> mailinglist as well.  Is this the Jesse Legacy project or is this a
> larger team effort?  You, Jesse Keating, don't need to be doing
> everything, there needs to be some *organized* structure for FL to
> endure.

I don't do everything, not any more.  I haven't for quite a while.
There is a web developer, and no less than 3 people with build and
commit rights to packages.  In fact, I haven't touched a package in
probably over a year.  I'm trying to handle all the higher level things
like server maintainince, Red Hat interaction, FUD defending, hardware
allocation, and some script writing so that the people testing and
building packages can continue to do that with little interruption.

> > Now I've spent even MORE effort trying to stay calm and answer your
> > statements, when instead I could have been doing something far more
> > constructive, like spearheading our migration over to Red Hat's
> bugzilla
> > system, fixing some build scripts, allocating our x86_64 build
> system,
> > discussing our CVS commit access for FC trees etc...  Are you done
> now?
> > Can I go back to doing things that matter?
>
> Frankly, I would rather see you delegate some responsibility to others
> and then you take some time to define and setup an organization before
> doing anything else.
> As I said before you can't be the chief cook and
> bottle washer too.

When I started the project, there was nobody else.  I had to do it all.
I've been taking on help as I go along and will continue to do so.  I
cannot however stop everything while we figure out how to manage it.
Thats a disservice to the end users.  The nature of this game is to make
it up as you go along, and fix the f'd up things you made up in haste.
Thats what I'm doing now.  Deal with it.

> Going forward please communicate to the mailinglist
> or let the mailinglist know that you don't consider it worthy of
> keeping
> informed.

Sure, I'll do my best to let the list know at every little fart that
goes on.  I'm sure the majority of people really care.

> In my opinion the crux of FL should be discussed and
> announced on the mailinglists first.

I'm sorry, where did it say this was a democracy?  If there is a
decision that I feel requires community input, I'll bring it here.  Not
for a vote, but for opinions that will help me make said decision.  If
you don't like this, you're welcome to start your own project.  Good
luck w/ that.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: