sendmail updates

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Thu Apr 6 01:23:52 UTC 2006

I can confirm most of this info on my RH 9 and 7.3 systems as well.  For me, it was just user auth that appeared to be broken by this last package.  The secure cert setup that was part of the last bad-package-fix-effort didn't show any direct errors, relaying from localhost worked fine, receiving worked fine, etc.

See additional comments in-line and after below...  (I apologize in advance if I am barfing obvious and useless info as most of what I know about sendmail I learned from these broken packages)
_______________
Alan Johnson
alan at datdec.com

Jancio Wodnik wrote:
> It's me again.
>
> I have got latest sendmail's update on my rh73 and rh9 boxes.
>
> Issues are still the same: after update there is lack of those files:
>
> 1) there is no more /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail -> but thereis
> /etc/pam.d/smtp.rpmnew

Also, for me, in /etc/pam.d/, was a symlink from smtp -> /etc/alternatives/mta-pam but that file did not exists.  As soon as I did a I did a `cp smtp.rpmnew smtp` to fix the link (total guess), the broken auth started working again and smtp.sendmail appeared.  No service restart needed.  Now, prior to that I had guessed at a remake of the sendmail.cf file from my own sendmail.mc, and the alternatives command mentioned in a previous thread regarding the last bad-package, but I don't think they had anything to do with it.  I don't think that because the /only/ thing I did on 2 other RH 9 boxes and one 7.3 box was the `cp smtp.rpmnew smtp` and auth started working again.

> 2) there is no more /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail

I also do not have this file, but I do have a symlink in that dir from sendmail -> ../sbin/sendmail and in ../sbin (/usr/sbin) there is a sendmail.sendmail and another symlink from sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/mta.

> In /etc/alternatives were broken links: mta-pam, mta-sendmail,
> mta-sendmailman

mta-pam is not broken for me, but since mta-pam -> /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail, and /etc/pam.d/smtp -> /etc/alternatives/mta-pam -> /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail, so when I did that `cp smtp.rpmnew smtp`, that would explain why the link is fixed and why smtp.sendmail appeared in /etc/pam.d as soon as I did the cp.

The other two are also still broken, but they don't seem to impact operations of sendmail in anyway I have noticed yet:
mta-sendmail -> /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail
mta-sendmailman -> /usr/share/man/man8/sendmail.sendmail.8.gz

> My sendmail rejects incoming mail form LAN, so i must by hand fix above
> broken symlinks, after that and sendmail reload all goes fine.

As I already mentioned, I did not have to restart anything for auth to start working again, and nothing else seems to be broken.

> So there are still problems with the latest update, when we spoke about:
> problems with alternatives and sendmail. In my opinion: the latest
> update didn't fix that. That's all.

Agreed, while the efforts are certainly greatly appreciated, nonetheless.