OT: Something better than kino?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Feb 29 16:24:22 UTC 2008

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tue February 26 2008, Dan Dennedy wrote:
>> As the lead developer of Kino and a former Vegas user, I can safely say
>> there is nothing for Linux that comes even close to Vegas. Not even the
>> expensive Discreet Smoke because they have very different UIs and
>> target audiences. If you think the GIMP UI is bad, then you will surely
>> dismiss Cinelerra (or nearly all Linux applications for that matter).
>> CinePaint and Avidemux will not suffice either. CinePaint is a frame
>> touchup app, and Avidemux is mainly a transcoding tool with very
>> limited editing. Nevertheless, if you really want to monitor the
>> progress of intermediate-to-advanced video editing on Linux then you
>> can monitor the progress on Blender, Open Movie Editor, and Kdenlive.
>
> As a current Vegas, Adobe Premiere, and DPS Velocity editor, I would agree
> with the above. But, I wouldn't dismiss Cinelerra from your list. There's an
> ongoing project in active discussion to re-write the entire code being used
> in the community version which will also include a rename. But, that being
> said, we are a long way in Linux land from being able to edit with the power
> of Vegas. If the new Cinelerra can be what the old is minus the bugs and
> broken features, I would say it stands the best chance of rivalling Vegas or
> Premiere in the long run -- Open Movie Editor is not intended to be a
> full-featured NLE according to its author who participates on the Cinelerra
> list. Kdenlive doesn't seem to be undergoing a lot of development so far as I
> can tell, and Blender is not really an NLE application, though there's lots
> of discussion ongoing of incorporating video editing features into it. All
> these projects are moving targets and I could easily have missed major
> breakthroughs in their feature-sets since I last investigated matters, but, I
> do try to revisit these projects on a regular basis.

I was reading some news this morning and I came across a link for 100
open source applications and in the list was this.

http://jahshaka.org/

There is a FC5 release.  I tried to install it on my F8 box but I
couldn't due to 32/64 bit dependency issues that I don't have the time
to work out at this time.  I may try it on my home machine.

Source is available.

--
Robin Laing