Is this grub.conf file correct?

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 18:01:03 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 9:44 PM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:

> On Sun, November 16, 2008 2:41 am, Tim wrote:
>
>> You're missing some things on the kernel line.  It should have a
>> structure like this:
>>
>>   kernel /vmlinuz  ro  root=
>>
>> Where the root parameter points to wherever "/" is located.
>
> I have added "ro root=/dev/sda3" right after the vmlinuz argument but
> nothing changes.
>
>> I'd expect you to see some sort of error message without having any
>> referral to where to find the root partition.
>
> Booting in single user mode and running dmesg the only more or less
> related lines I see are:
>
> EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
> EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery. kjournald starting.
> Commit interval 5 seconds.
> EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> type=1404 audit (122678963.153:2): enforcing =1 old_enforcing=0
> auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295
>
> a few lines below:
>
> SELINUX: initialized (dev sda3, type ext3), uses xattr
> SELINUX: initialized (dev rootfs, type rootfs), uses genfs_contexts

> EXT3 FS on sda3, internal journal
> kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
> EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
> EXT3-fs: mouinted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> SELinux: initialized (dev sda1, type ext3), uses xattr
>
> So sda3 (/) and sda1 (/boot) are not managed in the same way, or at least
> don't generate the same notifications. But if I type mount at the prompt,
> I get:
>
> /dev/sda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
>
> as expected (plus lines for proc, tmpfs, sysfs, devpts)
>
> what does all this mean&
>
> tia,
>
> Marco
>
> --

Hi Marco!

I am suspicious that the fact that you CAN boot into single user mode
means that the grub is fine.  I would guess that X is your problem.

The following to try:

1. Let the machine boot as far as it will go.  Then try an CTL+ALT+F1
.  Hopefully you will then see a login terminal.  If not boot in using
a live CD and establish a terminal. There examine /var/log/messages -
/var/log/Xorg.0.log - and anything else that comes to mind as you look
at those two.

2. Run fsck on the disk.  If you see a lot of errors consider wiping
and reloading the disk.

Good Hunting!

Tod